Section 4: TRACK 2
Intuition in Mathematics and Physics
Track 2: Intuition in Mathematics and Physics
Mathematics and physics need to be imaginatively re-envisioned by taking our deepest intuitions into account. Physicists focus on “lifeless nature” and hence exclude from their descriptions all characteristics of “nature alive” such as feeling, creativity, purpose, and value. By contrast, in these sessions we challenge the separation and turn the opposition between physics and intuition into a fruitful contrast.
Other Tracks in this Section
- Track 1: Telling the Story: Systems, Processes, and the Present
- Track 3: Systems Theory, Complexity Theory, and Radical Emergence
- Track 4: Neuroscience and Consciousness: Toward an Integral Paradigm
- Track 5: Ecologies, Becoming, Networks, and Value
- Track 6: Unprecedented Evolution: Human Continuities and Discontinuities with Animal Life
- Track 7: Beyond Mechanism: The Emergence and Evolution of Living Agents
Postdoctoral Research Fellow at FWO Vlaanderen / VUB
Ronny Desmet holds an MA in mathematics (1983), an MA and a PhD in philosophy (2005 and 2010). He is currently research fellow at the Centre of Logic and Philosophy of Science, Free University of Brussels. His research and publications have focused on Whitehead’s philosophy of mathematics and relativity.
Postings from Seizing an Alternative
- “The Photon and Its Discontents”
By Robert J. Valenza
- “Actualization of Potential”
By Peter Fimmel, Rob Valenza, Gary Herstein, and Hank Keeton
- Ronny Desmet, “Whitehead’s Revolt against the Bifurcation of Nature.” Accompanying PowerPoint slides for presentation.
- Timothy E. Eastman, Intuition in Mathematics and Physics Summary.
Links to Section-related books and media for pre-conference preparation include: